Thursday, May 10, 2012

New baby bunnies and misc. farm updates

Bella, my blue Silver Fox, just kindled a few days ago. 5 or 6 (not sure yet) She was bred to Checker, our new red/white NZ buck. These are his first babies ever, and the first time we've ever bred her to a buck other than Snickerdoodle, our black NZ mix buck. She normally has 7-9 babies so I was a little surprised to only count 5 or 6 this time around. Still excited to see how they turn out though.

We also bought 13 baby chicks a several weeks ago. 8 Cornish X, 4 Americauna's and 1 Red Sex Link. They were all doing great until one day 2 of the Cornish X's and 2 of the Americauna's got out of their pens and my dogs thought they would be fun toys :( so now we're down to 9. The remaining ones are doing great though and getting big. The Cornish X's are big enough to begin butchering.  We have all the chickens (including the grown ones) in 3 chicken tractors down in the field. They're fairly simple, but at least they can get fresh grass on a regular basis.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Great site! I'm trying to find an email address to contact you on to ask if you would please consider adding a link to my website. I'd really appreciate if you could email me back.

    Thanks and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete